St John the Evangelist, Staplegrove

Please read the latest news about the reordering project which started on 5th June.  There is currently no access to St John's



Join us for the Big Autumn Sweep Up in the Churchyard 

on Saturday 4th November at 10 am. 

As many booms as possible please!

Any queries please contact Stafford on 284236  



  • The church of St John the Evangelist in Staplegrove dates back to the 13th century and although there has been much restoration, especially during the 19th and 20th centuries, a significant amount of the early stonework remains.
  • Inside the church among the most interesting features is the east window, above the altar. The centre light depicts the Crucifixion of Christ, flanked by scenes of Gethsemane and the Empty Tomb. Beneath these is depicted the Emmaus Supper. On the south side of the nave, as you enter the church, is the Millennium window. Funded by public subscription, and made by Henry Haig in 2000, this celebrates the continuing revelation of God, and marks the beginning of the 3rd Christian Millennium.
  • The tower, with its ancient gargoyles, is 13th century. It houses a peal of six bells, four of which, including the 12cwt tenor, are dated 1608, one is dated 1653 and one commemorates the Silver Jubilee of King George V in May 1935. Over the door of the tower is a clock commemorating the Silver Jubilee of HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1977.